The dynamics of planetary and synoptic Rossby waves is energetically important for atmospheric processes. The study of their life cycle bears information on the connection of subtropical anomalies with variations in the middle and higher latitudes over the stratospheric vortex up to the mesosphere. Many phenomena such as sudden stratospheric warmings or heavy weather events are strongly tied to the dynamics of Rossby waves.
In order to extract information from observations and analyses and model simulations, distributions of Ertels Potential Vorticity, the three-dimensional wave activity flux, lag-correlations and several methods for the diagnosis of Rossby wave trains are studied.
- Bauer, W., M. Baumann, L. Scheck, A. Gassmann, V. Heuveline & S. C. Jones, 2014: Simulation of tropical-cyclone-like vortices in shallow-water ICON-hex using goal-oriented r-adaptivity. Theo. Comp. Fluid Dyn. 28: 107 - 128. doi:10.1007/s00162-013-0303-4.
- Matthias, V. & M. Ern, 2017: On the origin of the mesospheric quasi-stationary planetary waves in the unusual Arctic winter 2015/16. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss.: in review, doi:10.5194/acp-2017-1051.
- Peters, D. H. W., A. Schneidereit, M. Bügelmayer, C. Zülicke & I. Kirchner, 2014: Atmospheric circulation changes in response to a stratospheric zonal ozone anomaly. Atmos.-Ocean. doi:10.1080/07055900.2013.878833.
- Peters, D. H. W. & P. Vargin, 2015: Influence of subtropical Rossby wave trains on planetary wave activity over Antarctica in September 2002. Tellus A 67: 25875. doi:10.3402/tellusa.v67.25875.
- Schneidereit, A., D. H. W. Peters, C. M. Grams, J. F. Quinting, J. H. Keller, G. Wolf, F. Teubler, M. Riemer & O. Martius, 2017: Enhanced tropospheric wave forcing of two anticyclones in the pre-phase of 2 January 2009 major stratospheric sudden warming event. Mon. Wea. Rev.: in press, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-16-0242.1.