AFO2000 LEWIZ - Inertia-gravity waves and their connections to breaking Rossby waves
- To investigate breaking Rossby waves in their vertical structure in connection with the polar vortex and to determine the connection with inertia-gravity waves by field experiments
- To analyse and model the forcing mechanisms and propagation of inertial gravity waves for typical cases of Rossby wave breaking in order to understand the dominating processes
- To study the mixing and exchange processes between the troposphere and stratosphere caused by inertial gravity waves, to quantify the associated exchanges.
- Principle investigator: Dieter H.W. Peters
- Contributors: Christoph Zülicke, Peter Hoffmann, Andrey Serafimovich, Michael Gerding and the LEWIZ team
- Runtime: 01 Oct 2001 - 30 Sep 2004
- Funding: LEWIZ is project number 07ATF31 in AFO2000 - the German Programme on Atmospheric Research, funded by the BMBF - Federal Ministry for Education and Science form April 2001 - October 2004. Its coordination is managed by the GSF - Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit München.
Privatdozent Dr. habil. Dieter H.W. Peters
Tel. : +49 (0) 38293 68 380
Fax : +49 (0) 38293 68 50