- Research Topics
- Department Optical Soundings and Sounding Rockets
- Department Radar Remote Sensing
- Department Modelling of Atmospheric Processes
- Cross-departmental Collaborations
Prof. Dr. Justus Notholt
Institut für Umweltphysik
Otto-Hahn Allee 1
- Dr. Holger Bremer
- Dr. Miriam Sinnhuber
- Dr. Gerd Hochschild
The goal of this project is to measure changes in O3 and H2O in the stratosphere and mesosphere in the Arctic at Ny-Ålesund/Spitsbergen and the Tropics at Mérida/ Venezuela with special emphasis on the effects due to solar variability. These measurements will allow us to study the following scientific topics:
- Measure the influence of the diurnal and seasonal variability of water vapour on the ozone chemistry in the tropics compared to the high Arctic.
- Investigate the influence of UV variability compared to the influence of charged particles on ozone by comparisons of measurements at the two sites.
- Estimate the vertical transport of mesospheric air downward into the upper and middle stratosphere
- Assess the long-term impact of variations in water vapour concentrations on the stratospheric ozone chemistry in the Arctic and the Tropics.